I was thinking about designing such a portable Free Software device, but from scratch. I'm not really sure about the OS, though Maemo looks like a nice choice, better than Replicant IMHO. The target board to use is http://rhombus-tech.net/allwinner_a10/ but it hasn't started shipping yet. I believe that such a phone can be targeted towards students, Free Software Supporters, and in my case, visually impaired people. I strongly think that a cheap computing device such as this is really needed in a world where there are people who need to do basic tasks and dont need "Apps" so much.

P.S. My goal is to keep it under $150.