The netbook situation isn't good. The market crashed and things aren't what they could be. We had a 13.3" light notebook. There is no built-in optical drive and it is more than a netbook would be... but it does have free software drivers for the internal wireless card:

http://libre.thinkpenguin.com/

I'm not a big fan of hooking up an external USB wireless card to a notebook although some here have done it. It may be possible to replace the internal Mini PCIe wifi card too. You have to be careful though as most of the big names are implementing digital restrictions that prevent the replacement of this card. It's also a bit more work although many (most) notebooks have an easy access bay so it isn't terribly difficult. Unfortunately they turns an 'open' standard into a proprietary one and you can only use the same chips that came with the notebook (available from the 'manufacturer' of your notebook).