I prefer the term "GNU System' because it most accurately describes what I have. I've been doing a bit of a license audit on my GNU system and this is what I have found:

85.5% GPL licensed (GPLv1-3 & LGPL 2-3)
17.82% MIT (X Windows System mostly)
 6% BSD (vixie-cron, poppler-data, libogg, libvorbis, etc)

These numbers are greater than 100%, because of multi-licensed packages. I have 623 packages installed, but 694 licenses installed and haven't yet accounted for multi-licensed packages. This is on my Gentoo system, not Trisquel, because I don't know how to do this type of thing on Trisquel.

But the point is, there is no more accurate name for this system than GNU, as the licenses clearly show. Add in the fact a GNU system can run on various kernels, like Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc and it becomes clear the system is really GNU.