Like Magic Banana said the amount of funds are insufficient at this point to make a difference in the timeliness of the releases. Until there are sufficient funds for Rubén Rodríguez to work on it full time I don't think it is unreasonable that the release time be significant in comparison to other distributions.

I've been working on a distribution in the last couple days. Well- I've been working on a distribution for 10 years. Mostly refining and implementing concepts than actually releasing a finished product. And this is for a particular audience- unlike Trisquel. The point is that I have a good idea what it takes to make it happen.

What I would probably do in Rubén's situation is release a version based on Ubuntu's long term support release. Then I would not bother releasing a new version every six months. I would only release updates to critical components. Packages like hplip (printers), firefox, kernels, etc.

All of this means time to get things stable, better polished, and working consistently.

Even with the resources that Canonical has I'm not convinced that this is the best approach for the long haul. Hitting the masses I think is more important than satisfying the need of a few technical users who are just playing around anyway.

I'm not saying every person who wants the STS releases is playing around. As long as the LTS releases had better hardware support and updates for a few critical packages though the STS releases would be fine for those doing real work. You would see better hardware support, more stability, and more polished releases. At least that is the idea. From the work I've done with users, development, and hardware support I'm pretty confident in this view.