I can see where systemovich is coming from on this idea. It is stated in many places that the purpose behind the GNU project was to build a free operating system. I find it a bit strange that they got everything done, then their kernel took longer than expected, but instead of building a system using the Linux kernel they left that up to other people to package it all up as distros.

I can understand what happened and why but we never have come to the actual GNU Operating system.(though it could be argued that GNU/Linux is technically the GNU Operating System).

At the point we're at now though, it almost seems counter productive to offer something straight from the GNU project. It would be competing with itself in terms of having its own distro and then a bunch of others it endorses. It would be a bit like the big auto makers owning so many brands that they're spending resources competing with themselves.

It seems that the GNU project's resources are better spent elsewhere. As long as good distros like Trisquel exist that is.