I think there's a huge lack of introductory resources for the target users you describe, so I encourage you to keep with your idea of the book.

Every time I install a new version of a libre distribution for myself or for other people, I start dreaming a lot on a help system for beginners. I've being learning to program and using different documentation systems for some time now and may start a project like this in the future (focusing on LTS versions of Trisquel). I want new users to be able to easily access help resources from the desktop and from the main menu of the system from the first time they start the computer.

Good luck with your book!