Denying a desperate person help "for his own good" is paternalistic. It also looks a little bad ... like we're capitalizing on his weak position to deliver our political message. I agree with quantamgravity; refusing help is not being a good neighbour.

Helping the person is good, if we also tell him about about living free. He should make up his own mind.

I don't think that our Community Guidelines condone support for proprietary software. We're using Trisquel's forum, so we should follow the rule here.

It's also important to have an organization like Trisquel represent the principled position. Trisquel makes using free software in a proprietary world easier every iteration. That's only true because because the Trisquel team is principled about free software.