I have purchased a Penguin desktop from ThinkPenguin for work and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I think that it would be great to see custom designed cases and fancy plastic bezels on the thing but I also realize that there's an expense there and it's hard for a small company to funnel resources to that type of thing.

Considering that a laptop is something that you travel with and it can take a beating I can completely understand that you'd want it to hold up better. The truth is that many companies build laptops that just don't hold up. Apple does happen to build some damn tough machines but look at the manufacturing and design resources they have. They also have a 30+ year history in that business. I've seen countless Dells, HPs and others that just don't hold up as well as you'd expect them to. And as Chris points out, there's only so much QA you can do when you're not designing and building these components yourself.

I can see the strange predicament that companies like ThinkPenguin are in but I do applaud their effort and software ethics. Even though it is tough for them to put out products that compete directly with the big players they have found their niche. Look at what they're doing to free the code for hardware drivers and firmware. I don't know of any other companies doing that. This can pave the way for them to build bigger and better things in the future.

I do appreciate that Chris is taking these criticisms and trying to do something about them though. That is admirable and the right thing to do. I know that it will make for better products in the future and it will help the free software community have somewhere to buy systems from when we need to.