I did so because most people said free software would never work, and I like a challenge; the ethics are just the cherry on-top of the cake. For example there are problems at every corner of free software, it's implementation and it's online references.
Take *this* website forum mailing list ..
You have to go to a couple of webpages before you get to the forum post, or you even have to search for it. Why not just automatically add an Url shortener ( one that doesn't track is probably better).
Like this:

http://tr.im/42vmw

That one does track, but does anyone know one that doesn't with AGPL ?
This method would make life a lot easier, but unfortunately this isn't a meritocracy.
Ideas can easily be over-ruled.
There are no 'lists' of free software programmers to make all of the changes that I want to pay to make & personalise my software. I find that part of RMS's thinking a myth.