Well, the first distro I ever used was Fedora, and I had that type of experience: no 3D acceleration, wrong resolution in one case, and a wireless receiver not working. I understood the wireless receiver not working as the device not supporting "Linux", the resolution problem being a crappy hardware thing, and the acceleration I just didn't know about.

I did love Linux Mint, but more because of its ease of use compared to Fedora than the nonfree bits (Fedora was a mess). I did wrongly assume that the nonfree bits actually mattered to me; in actuality, my laptop has Intel graphics and a wireless card that work perfectly with free systems.