Hey t3g.

As a Fluxbox and Openbox user, I may not have as much experience as you do on these desktops. May I please ask a few questions?

Cinnamon: I believe Cinnamon is GTK3/Gnome3-based. Doesn't Cinnamon use 3D rendering? If so, isn't that the same problem as Gnome-Shell for those without free drivers? I've also heard that their compliance with the latest GTK has not been a priority. What do you think?

Mate: I've never thought of Gnome2 as a "light" desktop environment. Perhaps it is compared to the latest KDE & Gnome-Shell. Also do you think it will begin developing incompatibilities with GTK3-based applications? (Not currently but moving forward?)

Is there a light DE which uses GTK3? I believe LXDE and XFCE use GTK2 as well.

Thanks for your time.