Any system I use must have a working Orca screen reader. The GNOME Fallback, as hacked by Rubin et al, works very well with Orca (at least as well as does the un-hacked Fallback); I prefer Trisquel's layout to Ubuntu's. If customizing Fallback is really the cause of some delays in getting releases out, then the process may need improving? What is happening with Consort Desktop? That seems, to me, like it has possibilities. Unity-2D works with Orca, but Ubuntu supports no further development there. I haven't tried GNOME Shell in Trisquel, but I have done in other distros; It is quite usable with Orca. If Cinnamon is in the Trisquel repos, I can try it; No Joy with Orca in two versions of Mint I've tried. When last I tried a Trisquel Mate live dvd, Orca either wasn't there or was non-functional.

Does this answer your questions?