I've been working on connos since 2008 and yes, I can see the kernel firmware being one which is holding it back from FSF endorsement. our way is to nag about non-free software and load it (if the user first load it), instead of blindly refusing to function. However FSF endorsement isn't a top priority, though it would be nice.

However, to get around the PAE issue on Toutatis, one can install Taranis and upgrade it. It's not a single-commander, but it shouldn't be too hard for couraged user either.