On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM,  <shiret...@web.de> wrote:
> I heard of the flaws in the rp after buying it;
> I can affirm that you're able to run debian on the raspberry without
> non-free parts, but I can only verify this for text-only.
> Probably, non-free stuff would be necessary for launching the x server.

Also[1]:

* The Raspberry Pi requires nonfree software to start up. It can't
reach the point of executing free software unless this nonfree program
is part of the installed system software.
** The startup program is, in fact, the same program that runs the GPU
and the video decoding hardware. Thus, the GPU and the video decoding
hardware are unusable in the free world, but these jobs can be done
with free software on the CPU.
** That program appears to implement intentional restrictions, such as
blocking the video decoding hardware for MPEG-2 and VC-1 in the
absence of a key that is specific to the machine in hand.

Best,

--
Stefano

[1]http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Single_Board_Computers