Besides only using Free (and "Open Source") Software operating systems...

I use *Mail.ru* for e-mail (which has an English and Spanish interface, for those of you who don't know it) and the *Yandex.com* search engine, whenever possible - which is an English language implementation of the well-known Yandex (.ru) search engine.

Seriously corrupt as our Western society is, and knowing how all the big companies are (behind the scenes) allied with each other and their puppet governments, I don't trust any big company in the West.

At least the Russian government and Russian companies, I know, are not something (that, for a lot of reasons) I have to worry about.

Concerning "Startpage"... It is (to me, at least) an obvious example of "controlled opposition" - https://trisquel.info/en/forum/ixquickstartpage-launching-new-privacy-aware-email-service#comment-36230.