Well, to tell you the truth, things are really mixed around here.

The process of convincing people to use free software involves, as far as I know, knowledge about the person you're trying to convince.

Generally speaking, I always tell others the difference between the terms "gratis", "open source", and "free", I always tell them that every free software is open source, but the contrary may not be true. Depending on the person's preferences, I also try to point out some specific characteristics of free software, this of course, if such exist.

I won't lie, I do try to help people about non-free software related questions, but I don't help them installing non-free software, I always tell them that I'll try to solve the problem, not that I will solve it the way they're expecting it, that means, I firstly try to solve the problem using the existing software in the computer, if this fails, I try to use free software, but I never recommend or install non-free software for my clients.

For those interested, I'm not a programmer, nor a maintainer. I am a hardware technician, not very experienced, but I try my best. I don't have a established business, and as such, I just help when called.

Best regards, ADFENO.
Have a nice day.