Back when I was first online, circa 2001, I came across a post on a forum (I can't find it now, it may no longer exist) from a person who claimed that he left what was then called the GPO in the 1950's (now called BT) when he discovered that when you put a domestic phone back on its cradle that the speaker was cut off but not the microphone and that the roll out of the domestic phone network was basically a State sponsored bugging program (how they must have laughed, indeed are still laughing, that we pay them for the mechanisms used to spy on us) and that any house with a phone could be listened in on. (I worked for BT briefly in the early 1980's and there were rooms with military personel in them underground beneath one of the BT buildings. "Listening for enemy activity" I was told. I just presumed they meant "the enemy" as in the Cold War.)

At the time I thought "oh dear, paranoid much?"

Bearing in mind that basically pretty much everything we've been told since 1945 has been an artificial contruct (the lies told about WW2 in the official account are off the scale) and pretty much everything you see on the News is made up, added to all this now coming to light about computers and I'm thinking, no, not paranoid at all.
If it's been going on since the 1950's then it's now very advanced indeed.