Your reading too much into "without a network connection". That would still require a GSM module in the system. If you think about it logically you would still require a network connection of some kind to communicate the message "disable system". Now it may be that the network card has firmware that is communicating with a server somewhere such that no GSM module is required to disable the system.

I would be interested in seeing the network traffic from testing anti-theft. Both wireless, ethernet, and GSM just so that we have a better understanding of how this technology actually works.