Hi Pascal.

I was dealing the same issue a week before or so, when I finally found some time to make a full hard-drive backup with Clonezilla, using my Parted Magic boot CD, but since this distribution is periodically upgraded, I wanted to burn a new live ISO before I will do the backup.

Unfortunately, the time when I burned my last copy of Parted Magic on a CD, was also the last time it was offered as a free download. According to a Phoronix reader, who's been talked with the author, Patrick Verner, the funding went this way because of the financial problems that occured in the author's family, when his wife lost job, and he wanted to be able to work on the project as a full-time job, but for that he needs to meet the $1200 per month revenue limit, and that wasn't always met through donations.

I encourage you, and everyone here to make the $5 dollar payment for this perfectly fine distro, full of free software goodness, but if you, for some reason, are unable to make payments using PayPal (like me), or just want to test drive the older releases, I found this blog page that helped me, and where you/anyone can download the latest "free, as in free beer" version, that was previously released:

http://mrsebe.bplaced.net/blog/wordpress/?p=80

Paying for free software is good thing as long as all the donated money gets to the project, and I would like to see more of them taking the same route, since in my opinion, this is the way the majority of free software projects should go.

The full story about the transition can be found here:

[Phoronix] Parted Magic Is Still Free