I believe there are ways to develop free software for money. If you're a freelance developer, you can create your own website on where you should offer information yourself, e.g. what skills, experiences you have, and where one can hire your services (this approach is popular these days). You can also develop applications, and offer them free (in both senses), then ask for money for further development, and enhancements (e.g. make a list of most requested features, and the pricing in a similar fashion like at https://trisquel.info/tasks). If you have the ability, you can also offer support for companies on specialized free software application (this includes both software development, and technical help). Maybe you can also get a job at FSF, where there is a widespread selection of software projects on what you can work on (depending on your preferences). All of this depends on what kind of software you're developing (if I remember correctly, they were mobile applications), if you're developing from scratch, or porting desktop programs to mobile operating systems, forking/enhancing existing projects, etc., and of course, on reallife situation/limitations. Also, you can release the code on GitHub, or some other revision control system (e.g. GNU Savannah - a software development management system), and dual-license your application under both free/non-free licenses, while the proprietary counterpart will be available pre-compiled on the app store, therefore the average people will still buy your program, since they obviously doesn't want to struggle with building stuff. And so on...

If you're a proprietary software developer, I encourage you to add a time-based promise to your license, that will ensure that after a period of time, all the code will be released as free software. This way, even if you're struggling because you cannot make living out of development of FLOSS, it will both encourage users to buy your program in some way, but most importantly, this ensures that after the program served its purpose, it will eventually became free. I wish most of the proprietary software developers will follow the same route.

Regerds,
Peter