He said exactly the same thing I said: that just because you can make money from something unethical does not mean that it's OK.

He compared it to theft (I think) as an analogy. This was an incredibly simple analogy: proprietary software is unethical, theft is unethical. In the same way we don't excuse theft because it makes you money, he doesn't excuse proprietary software because it makes people money.

An analogy like this does not imply that you think the two things are the same. Please, this is not that complicated. I shouldn't have to explain to you how analogies work.