> How can you live with atheism, the idea that there is no reason why we are alive?

That's not atheism. That's nihilism. Don't confuse the two.

All being an atheist means is that you don't believe in any god or gods. More colloquially, that you don't believe in any religion. Most atheists I have seen (including myself) are not nihilists, and don't think that there's no reason to live or whatever.

I know it's hard to imagine, but if you ever find that the evidence for whatever god you believe in is unconvincing after all, you'll see that it really doesn't matter. You just get on with your life. (One exception: if you get forced out of a religious community you're attached to because of this, I've heard that the result is devastating. But this is because of loss of a community, not the loss of a belief in a god.)