@huanglao:I suggest you to install Trisquel 6.0 from USB device in your Xubnutu box 13.10 and by default it won't erase any of your Xubnutu stuff.

Here's more similar steps for your case from my experience:
1) When it asks about which partition to install , make it install along with Xubuntu.

2) Resize the partition of either your Xubnutu /home or / for Trisquel 6.0

3) Trisquel 6.0 won't delete/overwrite Xubuntu's files. But it's always better to take important files. I did for mine ~500GB!

4) Once installation done , you can loaded with Dual boot (Trisquel 6.0 / Xubuntu 13.10)

5) You can go into Trisquel 6.0 and copy/access all your stuff inside mounted Xubuntu partition

6) Anytime , you can go to your Xubuntu 13.10 from boot-loader.(You can keep this for your historical reference and/or alternate choice)

7) Once you satisfied with the Trisquel 6.0 setup and files, you can go-ahead remove the Xubuntu's partition.

Refer the attached screen-shot for how I able to access my Ubuntu 13.10 files from Trisquel 6.0 .