I use Emacs with org-mode, while I don't know how it handles searching
(there are commands for searching tags, I haven't used them).  My notes
evolved into unmaintainable mess, except for periodically cleared parts
like homework to-do list (removed after finishing courses).

I've written a personal wiki implementation [0] for such uses, while
it's not ready yet.  It has a Web interface, data in text files in a git
repo, tags, fulltext search, binary attachments/images, BibTeX metadata
export, browser bookmarks import.  (It's designed for running on a local
machine, not an external server.)  Some of the main reasons why I don't
use it is that it has no Emacs integration and that my workflow for
sharing data between my computers depends on Mercurial bundles, while it
supports only git.

[0] http://lethe.mtjm.eu/