I use something very simple: A TXT file. It can be opened with almost every text editor, of not with all.

I usually keep temporary notes inside a file containing pending stuff like contacts to be added, emails to be sent, medias to check out, software to check out, or other computer-related things to be made.

For my mostly consistent notes, I have a TXT file for each type, like cultural events/conventions, favorite sites, favorite free softwares, favorite free cultural works, non-free cultural works to check, hate (because I've already checked them), or like.

As for the contacts, if I were to say something about it, I would probably destroy the storage device first and start everything again. :D

Best regards, ADFENO.
Have a nice day.