ATI and AMD cards are all crap with free software. None of them support 3-D acceleration. It could be solved much like the problem with Nvidia cards if there was a reverse-engineering effort, but as far as I know there is not a major effort to reverse-engineer these GPUs. I guess a lot of people are satisfied with AMD's bullshit half-cooperation.

The best GPUs are Intel integrated graphics (e.g. Intel GMA or Intel HD), which their manufacturer provides free drivers for, and older Nvidia cards, which the Nouveau project have done a good job reverse-engineering.