On 16/03/14 00:10, gnuser wrote:
> Using TorBrowser will protect yourself from revealing any info about
>  your surfing to your ISP. However, it also has some disadvantages.
> One question I have (it might be terribly stupid, lol), is if DNS is
>  only used when accessing "www.namewebsite.com" or if it is also used
>  even if we use "123.456.789.0" being this the IP of the website.
> Like, for example, if I was to remember the IP of a website and
> enter it directly, would I still use a DNS?

If you enter the IP directly it shouldn't use DNS, AFAIK. However, many
hosts will have many websites hosted on a single IP address (HTTP/1.1
introduced the 'host' header to deal with this) so entering an IP
address won't always work.

Regarding Tor Browser, DNS requests are sent through the Tor network to
maintain anonymity.

Andrew.