I strongly discourage any user to use the tor network for the following reasons:

1) Bundled browser is full of vulnerabilities (Remote access included)
2) Most of the nodes are owned by people who will perform Mitm attacks even more if you use a layer 7 encrypted protocol. The chances of having an outgoing node that does spy and perform Mitm are absolutely not 0. 3) The bandwith on that network is limited. Even if that network transport all kind of dogshit, it does also transport legit traffic in countries where acting out of the box might get you killed.

OP was "is OpenDNS safe to use?" ... My answer is no because you do not own it.