arielxgbarton:
> Any suggestions for buying a laptop. I want something that works fine
> with Trisquel and similar OS. On H-Node there are only about 10 ones
> suggested, all of which are deemed not suitable for my needs (by my
> brother).

I recently bought a laptop/netbook (not sure what your needs are), which
I will add to h-node sometime. The make/model number is "ASUS X200CA".

Features:

- freedom-compatible Atheros WiFi chipset,
- 3D acceleration support,
- it's very light (1.2kg),
- 4GB RAM,
- 500GB hard drive,
- recent Intel Celeron CPU,
- 3 USB ports (1x 3.0, 2x 2.0),
- HDMI port,
- combined microphone/headphone port and
- an SD card reader.

The battery life is longer than advertised (runs for > 3 hours) and the
charger is very light, like a mobile phone charger. It suits all of my
needs, very convenient to carry around and use, no performance issues
for me at all.

Downsides:

- comes with Windows 8 by default,
- requires some UEFI/BIOS config to run Trisquel,
- hard drive speed is 5400rpm,
- BIOS is proprietary software,
- glossy screen (which is normal in most laptops, but I prefer matte),
- right-click button behaviour is different to what I am used to. The
button does a left click for some reason, but touching two fingers on
the touchpad or using the right-click key on the keyboard works; and
- requires a kernel update (I upgraded to 3.10) for the touch screen and
ethernet adapter to work.

I haven't tested 3D-intensive games on it, but I don't think it would
work that well as a gaming laptop, besides running less
graphics-intensive games. Some reviews I found before I bought the
laptop said the laptop can get a little bit warm, although I haven't had
any such issues so far!

Andrew.