Wow, lots of relies. Let's start top to bottom haha. :)

>>I would feel much happier to donate to the FSF if it actually looked like they were working on an OS distro like Trisquel or even an official GNU distro and keeping up with the new hardware that comes out.

>By purchasing a laptop with Microsoft Windows you already "donated" several dollars to Microsoft. The FSF cannot work on new distributions without funding, so if it is important to you please donate money to them as well.

I did not buy the computer because I like giving money to Microsoft, as Microsoft is the last company I'd ever want to support. I'm just as disgusted by it as you are, but I do not have a credit card nor do I have money to buy a system like ThinkPengiun. I am a student and have no job, I bought a cheap PC, unfortunately some of the money had to go to Microsoft. It's just as bad as blank media levys going to the RIAA, I don't buy it to support the RIAA, but I have no other choice. If I could get a Windows License refund I would, but I can't, so whatever. I have to live with this PC as this PC was the best I could do. With that said...

> I should point out that the FSF expresses no interest in developing its own distro:
>Quote from https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.en#gnudist
>> As for developing a distribution of GNU/Linux, we already did this
>> once, when we funded the early development of Debian GNU/Linux. To do
>> it again now does not seem useful; it would be a lot of work, and
>> unless the new distribution had substantial practical advantages over
>> other distributions, it would serve no purpose.

I am really disappointed by this. The FSF should build or stand behind in some way and help fund an OS that keeps up with hardware support as the drivers are released to make it easier for people to switch to free software. If they did this I would go out of my way to try to support the FSF in this if they would work together, but as it is now all they do is campaign. I'm not against campaigning, but it's like putting the cart before the horse. It makes no sense to me to tell people to switch to free software when the majority of PCs out now cannot run it not because the hardware isn't supported in free software, but because the latest releases of free software OSes are behind in adding support for the hardware.

RMS said when he made GNU he did it because, while he couldn't "change the world" and convince the big companies to liberate their software, he could write software and he made GNU, yet today it seems like the FSF and RMS has lost that philosophy and resort to campaigning only; and it's showing in the area of true free software GNU/Linux distributions. Now because the FSF does not promote, fund and back a single free software OS that stays current with new free software supported hardware, the community has to, and the community is really fragmented, lacks funding and is widely volunteer only. Trisquel, Parabola, Gnewsense is just an example of fragmentation. I'm not saying choice isn't good, I support Trisquel and the other projects otherwise I wouldn't be here, but it's no secret that all of the free software OSes have a hard time finding time and money to put toward their projects and it's really unfortunate.

It also makes it harder for a supporter to decide which project to support. For example, I could donate to Trisquel, but there is not much indication that many people would donate enough to make much difference than how things are now. But if the FSF had *one*, easy to use OS that effort could be put into, like Trisquel, lots of people support the FSF and it would show there was a standard everyone could support.

If the computer doesn't work with free software, people can't switch and then you're helpless, especially if you're someone in my shoes where you're a student or poor and cannot afford to buy a PC that does work, such as one from ThinkPengiun. I don't see how it's much different than living in a Country that is oppressive but you have no option to leave, except this has to do with computers and not countries. What do you expect people to do? They can either switch to Ubuntu and try to liberate it the best they can because it works, or use Windows, and we all know what Windows is. Ugh.

>The best feature in Trisquel is that it gives you freedom. Ubuntu does not. It captures the user one way or another with the excuse of giving more functionality; a golden cage. It is a passive and not an >investment. If you do not value freedom, sooner or later you will regret it because the powerful know how to trick people with temporary and apparent benefits.

I don't need the pep talk I already explained above my intentions and my only options, I just want a system that works that is free (as in freedom), but it's really hard due to the lack of a modern free software OS. See above. I'm not a programmer so any *real* help to get this to work is appreciated.

I will do that, but I checked h-node before and my hardware is not even listed. I expect that's because it's new? I have no idea. I read here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NjI that the drivers were included in Linux Kernel 3.11, and the fact that the graphics works on Ubuntu 14.04 suggests it was included some time around there, plus the Xserver does load after I update Linux Libre in Trisquel, just without hardware acceleration when I update the kernel. That's why I think it may be a Xorg config issue. Intel has always liberated the firmware and drivers in the past with their other CPUs I have no reason to believe the firmware is closed now, but I'll check tonight when I reinstall Trisquel.

> Try the LTS enablement stack from saucy. Simply run:

> $ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends {linux-generic,xserver-xorg,libgl1-mesa-glx}-lts-saucy

This is the only real suggestion that I could try while everyone else wants to give pep talks that I have already heard. Thank you. Someone else above suggested try saucy packages but when I tried it in synaptic I got dependency issues. I will be reinstalling Trisquel tonight and will try this as I might have broke something. I'm not sure. It is important to note however that I don't believe this will work as I actually have booted the real Saucy in the past and had to install the alpha 14.04 as saucy did not support the graphics.

Nobody here is aware of any other Free software OSes that have more up to date software on it. Parabola? I know it's based on Arch and not Debian but if I have to use it I will if it's my only choice as I just want this to work.

Any other suggestions are appreciated as I don't know what else to do. Real suggestions, not pep talks with why I should use free software as I have already established the importance of free software long ago and I am really honestly trying to get this to work with free software.

Are there any Trisquel 7 alpha builds out I could install? Anything really would be appreciated. The only PC I got working now is an older one with Debian Wheezy and I'd like to get my new system to work.
-Jonah