Some time ago when I did not care about freedom, I was using AMD CPUs. When I switched to Trisquel I realized that AMD does not want users to have freedom. AMD could easly solve the problem by burning the firmware into a ROM or hardwiring the command processor. I think releasing the source code would not help here in this specific case, as there is no free compiler that handles hardware description languages and works with real hardware.

I also learned how to reverse engineer the nonfree firmware that drives the Yamaha FB-01. In this case the nonfree program was burned into a ROM, so that old device is not a problematic one. The CPU is a well known one, and free disassembly tools are avialable. I also know how to design a CPU, which can be implemented on an FPGA. I know that there is a reverse engineering project that tries to replace the nonfree tools required to program an FPGA.

Recently I baught a refurbished OpenPandora. First I deleted all nonfree firmwares, and installed the free firmware for the TPE-N150USB. Now I can use the wireless network without giving up my freedom. I think the hardest part here is GPU, as there are no free drivers and no free fireware for the GPU. There is a reverse engineering project at[1], but this seems to be dead. But I can play some games such as Wesnoth and Tetris without using nonfree software. Unlike the Raspberry Pi no nonfree startup software is required, instead a boot-ROM is used instead. I think using a ROM for the boot firmware is the best solution as it prevents the user from accidently bricking the computer.

Currently I do not have time to reverse engineer the GPU as I'm working on a free software replacement for the mbrola speech synthesizer. I can do so without reverse engineering, as the algorithms used by mbrola are well documented. Reverse engineering would be needed if you want to use mbrola voices with a free program. However the licence of the mbrola project does not allow to use of the voices with a different program than mbrola itself.

[1] https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/new-high-priority-project-powervr-drivers