On 25.07.2014 14:27, magicban...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is it bad to support non-free systems? I do not think so. Users need to
> make a transition from proprietary to free. I'd rather not see the
> creation of an apparently impermeable border between the 100%-free
> GNU/Linux systems and the rest of them. Do you complain that
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/ (Emacs' main page) mentions Mac OS
> X, Windows and Solaris?

My commercial project Tehnoetic is an extension of my activist work. I
don't need to list all common nonfree distros to say TET-N150 works on
them. I am advancing GNU/Linux-libre beginning with the title.

I didn't want to partner with ThinkPenguin, I wanted to be independent
and still do. I just listed my reasons and this one is one of them. I
run my business differently and strive to follow ethics in technology.

I have a question in the FAQ section where I write it works with other
systems (partially free distributions and Windows, while on Mac OS it
doesn't), but there is no guarantee the automatically installed firmware
is the free one, because those systems don't respect their users'
freedom (for instance, I advice all my Debian clients to not follow the
Debian wiki page and install the nonfree firmware). Instead, I point
them to download and install the Trisquel deb package. I have taken
steps to convince Debian to change its policy, include the free firmware
package and recommend it to be installed, instead of the nonfree one.

https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc#Installation

https://wiki.debian.org/ath9k_htc/open_firmware

> As for the distribution names not mentioning GNU, they actually are the
> names chosen by the projects themselves. I certainly do not approve
> those choices but is it a reason to change them? Maybe...

See how the GNU project refers to them. We can try to make them change
their name to include GNU or use just the brand and put GNU/Linux in
description, if it's too long for them to include it in their trademark.
Regardless of their cooperation, I will not make the same mistake to
call them "Arch Linux" or "Linux Mint".

http://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.en.html

> I would prefer the name ThinkGNU to ThinkPenguin. Anyway "ThinkPenguin"
> is no "ThinkLinux". And I do not think the name matters more than the
> speech and the actions.

I don't like the name ThinkPenguin because it sends the wrong message.
And let us not forget the logo is a penguin and GNU mascots weren't
among penguin mascots at the ThinkPenguin stand advertised here.

Everybody is free to do whatever they want, me included. I didn't want
to work together with ThinkPenguin, although I respect and followed
their example with the freedom-respecting wifi adapters. That's all. I
hope this answers the freedom of expression question raised by another
forum user.

--
Tiberiu C. Turbureanu
Președinte, Fundația Ceata

Susții libertatea artelor și tehnologiilor?
Înscrie-te ca membru! (http://ceata.org/%C3%AEnscrieri)