For the record I'm not against collaboration in most cases. Even with distributions which include non-free parts there is frequently mutually beneficial collaboration. We need more cooperation, not less.

A perfect example of an unlikely collaboration (unrelated to ThinkPenguin) is Ubuntu and Trisquel. Despite what people think about Ubuntu and its practices (for which I think we can all agree here there are at least a few bad ones) Trisquel developers and users report bugs related to Ubuntu upstream and downstream Trisquel benefits from those fixes.