I think we should give Snowden a break here... Just as we understand when a guy has to use non-free software at work to keep his job (no matter the "work at a factory" speech), we could argue that "Snowden had to use a distro not endorsed by the FSF to save his life". I mean, sure he could have talked more about free software and such, but for a guy on his position... it was really a simple choice, if he had used a non-specialized distro (like TAILS, which is built to a single purpose) he would have gotten caught. As such, I understand his choice. As for free software... He worked for the NSA, he knows that being "free software" doesn't mean that its safe or private. They infiltrate a lot of free software projects, so he probably knows how deep the shit goes. On another note, I think he mentioned free software on a speech I heard of him the other day... The fact that he is so cautious about it probably deals with the fact that he knows what the NSA did to many free software projects. Trisquel couldn't be a right choice for a whistleblower because it is built around different purposes. He needed to stay alive, he used TAILS, if he had used Debian or Trisquel he probably would be dead, I don't see anything wrong with his choice. And anyway, many people from Tor Project (Jacob and Roger for example) always mention that "free software for freedom" is the way to go. So bringing people to TAILS and Tor actually brings free software to the table. Hopefully.