The goal was to create a trustworthy, privacy respecting gnu-linux distribution. Without proprietary blobs, few people would have been able to use it, no doubt about that. With proprietary blobs, _no one_ is able to use it, since privacy is completely terminated.

I can't believe that they made this decision; really, that's the stupidest thing I heard of for a long time. What were they thinking? Like "our goal is to make the first delicious non-alcoholic beer. But not so many people will drink it if it's without alcohol, so let's take the whiskey bottle and add some - yay! We're so smart!"

That's almost criminal. They're pretending to offer a privacy respecting system and people rely on it.