>From your first quotation I wasn't the only one to be misled by your
tone.

Agreed.  ISTR from around 2013 Trisquel was then 7 or 8 years old.  If
it's that old and the actively contributing community is small then
you've got to figure that the 'build a community' mode of some [often
successful] free software projects has not been copied.  A more open
communication style has to be part of that method.  Ruben as the BDFL
carries the can for this.  His narrow communication profile, geek
subculture method or not, is obviously a strong candidate as part of
the problem.  Further the bits where he's not best practice geek
method - such as an overlong patch acceptance cycle time make matters
worse when you consider the limits of normal human persistence.

Thing is from what I can workout "the median number of active
contributors to a free software project / initiative is one"[1]
because an awful lot of people are making similar mistakes.  Ruben at
least seems to have learnt part of this and be addressing the dev
community matter with infrastructure now.  Hopefully he'll move on to
upping his communications game too.

I will observe that many so called 'geek subculture' behaviours are in
fact what any kind of geek will devolve to left to her own devices in
almost any setting.  My own Father e.g. was a farmer, a 'farming geek'
and exhibited the same lamentable communication style failings as
Ruben.  I know and have known plenty of other non-FLOSS technical geeks
who do/did as well.

In the final analysis free software is but 30 years old, at this stage
we're all pretty much still making it up as we go along.  Given Ruben
has had the smarts to keep Trisquel going for this long, I think we
can expect him to work out what the next few steps are and have a good
chance of success.

[1] LibrePlant 2013 IIRC.