I want to record whatever audio my computer is playing, and not by microphone.

Tried VLC. Was too complicated. Probably wouldn't have worked anyway.

Discovered there's an included application for this purpose, gnome-sound-recorder. It was junk. The World Wide Web agrees that it's junk. It did nothing.

Installed recordmydesktop and its GUI. Recorded video, but not audio.

Discovered that most tutorials said to change the input sound source in the Recording tab of Pavucontrol to "Monitor Of". Did. Didn't work.

Discovered that you have to change "Default" to "Pulse" in the advanced options menu of recordmydesktop. Did so. STILL DIDN'T FREAKING WORK.

How in the name of your favourite deity am I supposed to record audio under Trisquel?