I try to load the computers I have charge with, with as much free software as I am allowed. Most installations have GIMP, Mozilla Firefox (I know, not quite free, but what they stand for as far as the web is concerned cannot be denied, plus you gotta remember this is Windows we are talking about), VLC Player.

     Up until recently all staff used Thunderbird for their e-mail client.

Other places I've introduced free software: Our typing students are now using Tux Typing to learn on in the Keyboarding class.

FreeCad is installed on the STEM computer which has a 3D printer attached to it.

     Some systems have Marble on them, Stellarium.

There really are so many great programs for education, and I wish educators would realize it. The money that could be saved, and the freeing of minds from the box the proprietaries put people in would be tremendous.

Education is owned by Pearson Education, Microsoft, Apple, and Google unfortunately, but we as operatives of free software, whether your more Richard Stallman leaning or not, should at least push hard to get as much free software in our schools as possible.

For a while I had lost my excitement with technology, because it seemed that we were moving more away from a user-oriented way of doing things to where the company making the software or service basically is telling you how you should do your computing. I used to like making my software do for me what I wanted it to do, and more and more that was getting harder to do. Until of course, I really dove head first into GNU/Linux and Free Software. It was like I was back sitting in front of the TV watching Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton on The ScreenSavers and Call for Help, back when I just ate up everything because it was new and fresh.

     Anyways, I am rambling on...  You get the point... lol.

Peace to you all,
grimlok