Guys

Personally, when it comes to firewalls and routers, I choose my own cup of tea.

Most of the current IPTABLES and firewall drivers are already GNU license. Meaning they are free. That includes some WIFI and USB drivers under the GNU licensing schemes.

As for my firewall I use IPFIRE. It works for me.

As for routers, my standard is a bit higher. If I could alter the factory firmware, then that router is on my hunters bucket list.

Since I have a very good hardware firewall supported by IP-FIRE, all my packages are under the GNU license. I would use my WIFI as an AP only. Disabling the DHCP of the WiFi router and my issue ISP-DSL router. I could set the ip-tables RANGE of my Choice using my IPFIRE and what is filter through my firewall. It works for me.

IPFIRE is not a cake walk, there is a lot of reading to do. But once you have figure out, what you want, you could study and choose the package that you want to add to your firewall. I normally will use any package add-on that are carrying GNU licensing.

Ipfire, It is superbly supported by the community.

The issue is the hardware and firmware. Either proprietary, keeping the code in a vault in secrecy or GNU "Libre", meaning have they release the code to the community of developers. I had JTAG and flash around 20 routers on my own, I could tell you this much, it is real hard work and tedious, specially avoiding bricking that router.

As for Think Penguin, the router they are selling it is a "Good router for home use." and it is a libre version.

But for my personal use, I need something more powerful, specially when it comes to the chip-set and memory. The day that Think penguin start selling the new generation of AC-ROUTER then I will order one. This just my opinion.