> My "freedom" is not restricted.  What is free as FSF wants?  My

We're talking about the OED freedom, n. I.1 distinct meaning of
freedom - a matter of liberty.  So it doesn't need inverted commas.
The most common confusion we see here is with the I.9 distinct
meaning - lack of encumbrance.  You seem to have that confusion.

> understanding is that I can get software, change it if I like, and
> re-share it with the world as long as I respect the GNU license.  I
> feel no need to change firmware or drivers.  The manufacturers know
> more about their hardware than any of us do especially in regards to
> making software to make it work.

If you actually knew what goes on in hardware maufacturers you
wouldn't be saying that.  Hardware manufacturers rarely do a good job
with drivers.  The reality is usually the best people to write a free
software O/S driver are the relevant community, they're the most
technically competent at the job.

> Open Source distributions are running way ahead of FSF and better
> software is being created.

Something like 90% of the code is the same and free distros will run
happily on many machines.  Admittedly there aren't free software
replacements for everything as yet, but there's enough for people
motivated by that freedom to more than get by without needing
proprietary code.