I got to agree, that hearing from Ruben, a KDE desktop is on the hands of a volunteer developer already. I believe it will a short time before is real.

One of the forward objectives for the projects was to convert the developers into full time job, but the money is not there yet. Is enough to sustain part time developing, while working full time in other jobs. That was cut and dry and very honest about it.

Myself, I have no problems with it, we all have mouths and desires to feed our needs.
 The question that I ask?
If you are a independent developer, What is the range of the salary that will a full time developer accept?.