Technically, yes. Service becomes a substitute for Software in whatever you use it for instead of software that you control. You can use a client to fetch, write and manage your e-mails and contacts, but the messages are still being stored on someone else's server. Therefore, using your own client does give you control over some things, but most of the process still goes through the server.

I personally do use a mail service. I don't consider SaaSS by itself to be as bad as proprietary software. Taking someone's freedom away is never good and doing so can and does have severe far-stretched consequences. However, not everyone can afford or knows how to set up and manage their own mail server. Then some people offer them services of mail hosting. Some of those are bad (most of them are), while some of those can be nice, respect the users and follow noble ideals (Riseup, OpenMailBox?). That still doesn't make them good, yes, but I wouldn't call them evil. We should try to regain control over all our services, but these are an acceptable temporary solution for me.

TL;DR: Yes, mail services are SaaSS. If you use a good one, it's acceptable when better options are not accessible. In my opinion, that is.