It's disingenuous to suggest that GNOME has removed a feature it hasn't. What's happened is Metacity never had this feature in the first place (GNOME first got it with GNOME Shell), and supposedly (I've only heard it in this thread) it's difficult to use an alternative window manager with GNOME Flashback now, meaning you can't (easily) get the feature from Compiz anymore. The solution for GNOME Flashback would be to add the feature to Metacity.

That's not to say I disagree with the position that MATE is better. Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion either way; for my needs, both are about as disappointing (I much prefer GNOME Shell), though I think MATE does have a variant of mintMenu, which is a neat thing if that's true. I'd say what's most important is to look at the accessibility problems MATE has, and consider whether the benefits of MATE outweigh those problems. After all, one of the major reasons Trisquel uses GNOME is GNOME's great accessibility.