Hello Trisquel aficionados,

I was wondering if switching to Trisquel might be a good idea.

Having installed Wheezy Debian LXDE over a year ago on a friend's computer, there seems to be a problem which may be linked to the graphics card. So I'd like to know if your experience with such a card and Trisquel is good.

This is a PIV, socket 468, with 1Go Ram and an Nvidia FX5200 graphics card that I added to boost the computer a little. The onboard card is Intel yet removing the graphics card made things worse.
I didn't install the Nvidia proprietary drivers.

The computer is rather sluggish, especially Iceweasel. This sluggishness appeared as soon as I installed Debian. I had to install Firefox from the Mozilla website to speed up things a bit. This friend doesn't visit heavy load websites. The computer ran fine with Lubuntu 12.04.

Of course, when I get the chance I'll put some new thermal paste on the CPU. Maybe, the problem is there. Yet Iceweasel sluggishness may be related to the graphics card.

Does anyone have this old FX5200 card and is it okay with Trisquel LXDE?

It is beginning to be difficult to find an easy and light enough distro for oldish computers.

As for the GeForce 7200 GS, I'm using it on Jessie on a computer which ran Wheezy without any problem. The nouveau driver seems to be incompatible with Gnome Shell — which I think is a shame since the card is over 7 old — so I installed LXDE, yet from time to time, not at all on a regular basis, the top panel that hosts the launch bar and all the rest of it, appears streaked with all kinds of colors. So when that happens, I log out and log in again and the panel looks all right.

Does anyone have some experience with this video card?

Of course, I can try Trisquel on a stick but it may not be the same experience as running it a while.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions :-)