I see no problem with recommending Debian with proprietary firmware to
people who have (alas) purchased devices incompatible with solely free
software. Ideally, all our devices would work with free software and
we'd all be running Trisquel, but that is simply not the case. The vast
majority of people would be unwilling to throw away that nice new laptop
they just bought for the cause of freedom- but that doesn't mean we
should just refuse to help them as much as possible. Running Debian
(even with proprietary firmware) is clearly preferable to running, say,
Windows.

One of the arguments deployed against Debian by the FSF is that the
existence and incorporation into documentation of the contrib and
non-free repositories by the Debian Project can lead many astray,
tempting them to install non-free software- the gateway effect. But the
gateway effect works the other way, too. When a Windows user (unaware of
the cause of freedom) migrates to Debian, she immediately sees the DFSG
being thrown about, non-free software being discussed in the forums and
the documentation, and this inevitably leads to exposure and at least
some sort of awareness of the cause of freedom. Ideally it would be made
clear to the new user by the recommender that Debian is not the final
solution, and the next computing device bought should support free
software, but even if this is not the case, she will be exposed to the
cause.

This is what happened with me. I was a Windows user. I decided (my
hatred for Windows 8 having reached fever pitch) to switch to 'Linux',
as I then called it. So I switched to Debian with proprietary firmware
to support my nice new flashy laptop, and became aware of the cause of
freedom through Debian. I then switched back to using my old machine
running Debian with only main enabled, and then settled on Trisquel.
Debian was what instigated my free software journey.

Debian is unique amongst the distros that distribute non-free software
in the way it is clearly separated out and discouraged. The inclusion of
non-free software was always inevitable in a project that size- the
convenience panderers were bound to win. There is no good way to include
non-free software, but Debian did it the best.

I agree though, that here is no place to be advocating non-free software
in any way, shape, or form. As unfortunate as the use of Debian is, it
is a useful gateway measure to win more over to the camp of freedom.