> It seems to me that the only valid criticism of systemd is that it only works with GNU/Linux. This hasn't been shown to harm BSD or other Unix-like systems too much, however. It seems that the BSD crowd isn't really interested in having systemd, anyway. If the lack of a BSD version isn't doing too much bad, then it seems that the lack of portability isn't as big a bad thing as people are making it out to be.

The issue with systemd being Linux-only is not systemd itself, but the programs that depend on it. as can make harder the porting of these programs to other *nix systems. For instance, it seems to me that Wayland use udev, though I don't know if it's actually required in the protocol. Also, *BSD isn't the only affected but also GNU Hurd.