For instance, it seems to me that Wayland require udev, though I don't know if it's actually required in the protocol.

udev is used to detect devices: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_%28display_server_protocol%29#/media/File:Libinput_for_Wayland_compositors.svg

But it did not disappear. It was incorporated into systemd. On the contrary, udev has never appeared on BSD!

Wayland was mainly intended to run on Linux. This time, the main Linux feature that is wanted is Kernel Mode Setting (KMS): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_setting

FreeBSD and OpenBSD have KMS for Intel and Radeon GPUs. A port of Wayland to FreeBSD was started: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTMwMzE

Wayland uses some features of systemd-logind but it looks optional:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM4Mzc
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ0NTI

GNOME 3.16 is working on OpenBSD even with it's systemd dependency

GNOME does not depend on systemd's init. It has an optional dependency on systemd-logind.

So systemd actually run with openBSD?

systemd's init cannot run on another kernel because cgroups are at the center of this init and they are a Linux-only feature (until now). But, again, systemd is an umbrella project. And a student worked on re-implementing some of systemd's daemons, namely hostnamed, localed, timedated, and logind, for OpenBSD: http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140915064856

https://uglyman.kremlin.cc/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=systembsd.git has not received any commit this year. The development may now happen elsewhere (or not).