I started using hushmail before I found Trisquel and this forum. I paid for a years subscription but they were providing a web based only (uses javascript) account for free. It's Canadian, they say email is stored in encrypted form and my Evolution setup is using OpenPGP. It took me a long time to figure out how to use OpenPGP or enigmail. I wonder if there is a way to certify if my email really is encrypted.

I wasn't really worried about governmental mass surveillance but I would like my ISP to mind its own business. I'm not sure that email services outside of US or EU law zones don't carry other risks. I mean what is the law in Russia for instance, and does Putin prevent Russian hackers or even the NSA for that matter running supposedly secure email services?

I like the post and will spend some more time looking up all your recommendations.