I think mail and OpenVPN should be fine... looking at the Freedombone site you linked to seems to confirm that as well. I don't know about any self-hosted search engines except that I've heard of Yacy which seems cool but I remember hearing an interview with the developer saying that they couldn't getting running on 512mb of ram

You probably would need to use some sort of flash memory, if only just for booting... I am pretty sure you can only boot off of the SD card or the internal flash. You might find this guide useful if you want to use an external drive (it is about raspberry pi but the steps should be pretty similar for BBB)

https://learn.adafruit.com/external-drive-as-raspberry-pi-root/overview