The X86 systems that have been free'd are from companies that are notoriously hostile IMHO in taking away users freedoms. Lenovo (ie IBM's PC division originally) in particular started the trend of adding digital restrictions to the BIOS to prevent users from switching wifi cards. This in turn prevents users from moving to a free operating system. Apple is the other. Apple's notorious for taking advantage of users. Even more so than Microsoft (Microsoft might be held back by there monopoly though so I should be careful of assuming it's anything other than out of legal concerns). They don't even use standard components any more so switching isn't an option. You can feel free to write off this rant if you like. There are a lot of really horrible companies I'd prefer not promote- even if we're all dependent on them.